Birth is a life-changing event. The worlds open up. We have access to parts of ourselves that we may have never glimpsed before.
Yet, in our fast paced lives, and with little exposure to what a birth is actually like, we sometimes enter the process saturated with information. Our brains are prepared, but our bodies often are not. I’m not talking about exercise or yoga. I am talking about your body as a living historian and storyteller.
I work with parents who are excited to fully engage the birth process as an entryway for growth and expansion. These couples realize that when a baby is born, everything changes. Some of those changes are welcome, some are unexpected. But all are transformative.
Research shows that how you feel about your birth experience isn’t so much about WHAT happens or WHERE you are, but HOW you feel- how much agency and support you feel during your experience.
My aim is for women, partners, and families to emerge from the birth process feeling whole- physical, mentally, emotionally, sexually and spiritually. For some, this process happens fairly seamlessly. For most, the sacred-ness and power of birth wakes up material to mine. With the right support, that material can be gracefully traversed bringing each person into a deeper level of understanding and connection.
Without support, pieces dangle out there. The changes are disorienting and we emerge fragmented. Years later, we are unable to harness our own life force energy and yet we don’t know why.
Each family is so different, there can’t possible one way for birth to happen, nor for the transition to parenthood to happen. The shape my doula support takes varies from family to family as a result.
In order to be fully available in the way that each couple needs, I work with just 8 women or couples per year.
This is for you if:
- you are willing to dive into the birth and mother mysteries, even if they scare you a bit- and you want a witness to dive with
- had a difficult birth yourself, had a previous difficult birth experience, abortion, or miscarriage or are just afraid of birth, and want to tend these threads so you can have a spontaneous satisfying new birth experience
- you want to get more deeply in touch with your instinctive, intuitive nature.
- you want to emerge stronger and more connected to your partner
This is not for you if:
- you want to return to life as usual, as fast as possible, once you have your baby
My Magamama toolkit includes Somatic Experiencing, internal pelvic health care, mad hands-on skills, and an uncanny ability to navigate changes in direction.
My doula work has included:
- redemptive VBACs
- medical translation (Portuguese/ English)
- holding a woman’s leg for four hours when she lost feeling in it from an epidural
- internal pelvic floor work as a Birth Rehearsal
- a spontaneous nude photo shoot
- crying with a couple as they let go of their dream of a vaginal birth and enter a Cesarean
- a hospital shower birth!